This year’s Phimai festival takes place from the 8th to the 12th of November 2017.
Events and activities include a Korat cat contest, a cultural show at Phimai historical park and longboat racing. Longboat racing will take place during the last 2 days of the festival – the 11th and 12th of November 2017 – in the usual location, Lam Jakarat. You can view the racing along the sides of the river and from the bridge on Anantachinda Road.
Teams have been out practising for the long boat racing.
Come along next month and cheer them on and enjoy the Phimai festival.
A few photographs taken in Phimai this month.
1. A rural scene only a few kilometres from the town centre.
2. Phimai barrage dam gates fully open.
3. People having fun playing in flood water.
4. Inside the Phimai rice research centre.
5. Inundated trees.
6. Sunset at the bypass junction – 22 October 2017.
7. Rural sunset – 24 October 2017.
A photograph of the city pillar (lak-meuang / หลักเมือง) in Phimai town.
The city pillar is covered and is used as a shrine (ศาล) to house the local guardian spirit – “jao-por lak-meuang pimai – เจ้าพ่อหลักเมืองพิมาย”.
Some people believe that city pillars are related to the original centre a town or city.
The city pillar in Phimai town is located next to the temple “wat derm“.